Resolving Things Into Thoughts

"Metaphysics resolves things into thoughts, and exchanges the objects of sense for the ideas of Soul." Mary Baker Eddy, Science and Health, page 269

07 November 2009

Magical Routines

I've been tutoring kids from South Seattle's High Point neighborhood this year. All the kids that sign up for after school tutoring in this neighborhood are immigrants - mostly African, with a smidge of southeast Asian among the group. They are charming in all the ways that kids are, overlaid with this unique insight into their new culture.

I was helping one child with his reading comprehension, and we came to an unfamiliar word to him - routine. So we talked about what a routine was, from the mundane daily routines to the wiggle, giggle- inspiring routines of dancers, musicians, and other artists. To test his comprehension, which after all is my duty, I asked him to tell me about one of his routines.

With a shift in his chair that revealed both mischievousness and shyness, he said, "Well, every morning when I wake up, I immediately close my eyes and try to make myself into a magician." OMGoodness, if that is not the coolest thing to say, then I am not a true red-head.

I am reminded of how unbounded we are as children every time I have the privilege of hanging out them. While I don't imagine that I am being transformed into a magician every day, I do firmly believe that every day, we have a choice to embrace a view of ourselves that is wide, and deep and so much fun, so valuable to each and every person we encounter during the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home